Friday, March 20, 2009

An tough but productive week




Well this was an interesting week. I'm down in Florida at the first round of my car racing season (http://www.starmazda.com/) and for the first time I'm trying to work in a full Ironman workout schedule in between my various on-track sessions. It took a bit of planning but I managed to get all but one of my workouts done (a shorter swim), which was satisfying.


I learned that to get a workout in between on-track sessions I really need a minimum of 4 hours. When we get off track there's a certain decompression period required, then we talk over the car's handling with the engineer, etc. So the earliest I can really expect to start a workout is 1-1.5 hours after the session ends. Then consider at least an hour for the workout (more if I have to travel somewhere like to a pool) and another hour, at least, before the next on-track session to look at data, video and get myself prepared, there's not much time left. I found this week that it's generally easiest to do the workouts at the end of the day, but that sure makes for a long day.


So in six days here, I was on track 8 times, did 4 rides, 3 runs and 2 swims. And I accomplished what I came here to do and won my class, starting what will hopefully be a successful defence of my Championship from last year.


No comments:

Post a Comment